PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone, or through video conferencing via Zoom or Electronic Sign up. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Distinctive. Trustworthy. Aggressive.
  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  – Who can pursue a wrongful death claim in Florida?

Who can pursue a wrongful death claim in Florida?

If someone else’s negligence contributed to the loss of a loved one in Florida, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim to recover some financial compensation for your loss.

No amount of money can fully compensate for the loss of a loved one, but it can help cover some of your related expenses or loss of income, and it may offer some comfort for your pain and suffering.

Who can bring a wrongful death claim in Florida?

Under Florida law, survivors may pursue a wrongful death claim after the loss of a loved one. Survivors include immediate family members, so you may be a spouse, child or parent of the decedent. But if you are a dependent of the decedent and not a qualifying immediate family member, you may still have options for civil compensation in some circumstances. Similarly, if you paid for some of the related medical or funeral costs, you may be able to recover your lost finances in some cases.

What damages can survivors recover?

Florida law allows the recovery of certain types of damages in a wrongful death claim.

In addition to medical and funeral expenses, if you are a spouse or minor dependent, you may be able to recover financial compensation sufficient to replace the financial losses you would expect from the decedent. In other words, you may be able to receive both past lost wages you expected and future lost wages based on the life expectancy and earning potential of the decedent.

Spouses may also recover damages to help compensate for the pain and suffering associated with the loss of a companion. Children and parents may also be able to receive pain and suffering damages concurrent with their relationship and expected emotional impact of the lost parent or child.

Ultimately, the amount you are able to recover will depend on your relationship to the decedent and what expenses you incurred as a result of the incident.